Professional Academic Advising Training
Student Success & Advising hosts a series of training modules for Professional Academic Advisors. This training is based in student development and advising theories their practical application. There are currently two levels of Professional Academic Advising Trainings with a third level planned for Fall 2020.
- Level Two Training will begin in Fall 2019 and run through Spring 2020. If you have completed the Level One Training and are interested in being part of the Level Two Training cohort, please contact Edie Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org)
National Academic Advising Association
Student Success and Advising holds membership in National Academic Advising Association (NACADA). Staff have the opportunity to participate in the monthly NACADA webinars which offer skill building and resource sharing with other NACADA members.
Upcoming NACADA webinars:
- Thursday, November 14, 2019 - All I Need to Know (about Academic Advising) I Learned...
- Wednesday, December 11, 2019 - Academic Advising and Trans Equity: Building our Tomorrow
- Tuesday, February 11, 2020 - A Deeper Look at Incorporating Coaching Conversations into Academic Advising Practice
- Thursday, March 19, 2020 - Successful Advising Strategies for Supporting Student Academic Recovery
- Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - Academic Advising for Social Justice: Theory, Reflection, and Practice (DW95) - Learn More
- Thursday, May 21, 2020 - Skills and Techniques for Delivering Unwanted News in Academic Advising Situations
If you are interested in learning more about participation in NACADA webinars please contact Priscilla Saldana (email@example.com)
Professional Academic Advisor Committee
Professional Academic Advisor Committee (PAAC) meets biweekly to discuss topics relevant to Professional Academic Advisors including curriculum changes, orientation, advising policies and first year student requirements. If your department is interested in presenting at a PAAC meeting, please contact Priscilla Saldana (firstname.lastname@example.org)
California Collaborative Advising and Counseling Conference
The California Collaborative Advising and Counseling Conference brings together educators from the California State University, California Community Colleges, and University of California together “to create a transparent system that allows students to move seamlessly through California's higher education system, optimizing progress to degree completion and eliminating the achievement gap.” Sonoma State University is pleased to be hosting the annual conference in Spring 2020.